Five Simple Supplements to Incorporate into Your Health Routine
Because of having a heart condition, I am a lot more conscious of the things I put in my body. Over the years, and through lots of heart health research, I have developed some main heart-healthy supplements that I incorporate into my daily routine. Here are my favorite heart-healthy supplements to implement into your health routine. These are supplements you can get on Amazon or at many local stores.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
1. Fish Oil
I personally take 1 tablet (1000mg) of Nature Made’s Fish Oil supplement daily. I like this one, because it doesn’t have a “fishy” taste that tends to make me gag, and they are easy to swallow.
- Fish Oil is rich in omega-3 fatty acids which are SO heart healthy
- It decreases triglycerides which can lower blood pressure and reduce blood clotting.- Always good 😎
- They contain Omega-3’s which can help with inflammation 😲
- They can help reduce irregular heartbeats
2. CoQ10 (Coenzyme Q10)
From a young age, my parents always had me taking CoQ10 for my heart health. There were periods of time after I left home for college that I didn’t take it, and I definitely noticed a difference in my heart’s behavior. My heart for sure feels more stable and strong when I take CoQ10 regularly.
- CoQ10 is full of antioxidants which protects cells from damage. 💪🏻
- It can also lower blood pressure
- It reduces inflammation
- It can improve blood vessel health ❤️
I take 2 teaspoons of CoQ10 following dinner each night as it is best absorbed with meals. My favorite brand of CoQ10 is Qunol‘s liquid supplement. I love its sweet orange-pineapple flavor! For some reason, it reminds me of those orange creamsicle snacks I loved as a kid! Lol.
I started taking Tumeric in college, and I have never looked back! Honestly, I started taking it as a recommendation for my sore muscles that resulted from difficult workouts as a new college athlete. But the more research I did, the more I learned about its heart benefits as well! Double win!
- Tumeric improves the lining of your blood vessels 💪🏻
- It helps regulate blood pressure
- It has anti-inflammatory properties and is FULL of antioxidants
- It can reduce oxidative stress on vascular tissues too 👀
I take two capsules of a Tumeric supplement each night as part of my nightly routine. My go-to brand is Nature’s Base Tumeric and Ginger Supplement. I like this brand of Turmeric because it also has other anti-inflammatory supplements combined with it such as ginger and apple cider vinegar which help with digestion. It makes it a power-packed supplement for my overall health too.
4. Vitamin D
Vitamin D, “the sunshine vitamin” has SO many health benefits from immunity boosting to just plain helping your mood. We sunshine deprived Oregonians can always use that extra Vitamin D mood boost in the winter for sure. Lol. Many people however don’t know that Vitamin D is also beneficial for your heart’s health!
- Vitamin D3 can repair damage to your heart and blood vessels that is often a result of high blood pressure
- It can help lower blood pressure
- It improves the lining of blood vessels (see the common theme with these supplements? 😆 Gotta take care of those blood vessels!
I take one D3 Nature Made soft-gel every night after dinner.
5. Vitamin C
My Mom was always a HUGE advocate of Vitamin C in our household from her days in the dental field. As a dental assistant, it was a common procedure to recommend patients increase their dose of Vitamin C before certain dental procedures. This was to help increase tissue tolerance, and help heal gums faster. The craze of Vitamin C was definitely passed on to me, and there are some awesome benefits for my heart.
- Vitamin C is a great antioxidant and is shown to improve your blood antioxidant levels
- It strengthens your immune system helping fight off dangers to your system 👊🏻
- It can help manage high blood pressure and reduce LDL cholesterol levels 😎
- It has been shown to relax the blood vessels that carry blood from the heart- Again with those important blood vessels 🤪
I take 1 capsule of Nature Way’s Vitamin C after dinner each night.
These are some of my favorite heart-healthy supplements that I have found helpful in incorporating into my daily diet. While getting these vitamins naturally is always my number one goal before supplements, I have found that these simple supplements are a great boost to my existing healthy diet.
Of course, I am not a dietitian or nutritionist, but these are recommendations based on what has been recommended to me, what I’ve researched, and what has been helpful in my heart’s health journey as a CHD Survivor myself. If you are interested in making changes to your diet to incorporate these heart-healthy supplements, always make sure to consult your primary physician.
Cheers to healthy hearts friends!
Have You Heard My Story?
Read more here about my CHD (congenital heart defect) and how you can be a part of spreading awareness and supporting the individuals and families affected by these heart conditions. Let’s have a heart that beats for others, TOGETHER! 💓
Check Out My Latest Blog Posts
- My Myx Fitness Bike Review: Getting Smart About My Home Fitness
- Rodan and Fields Lash Boost Results
- Gift Guides To The Best Mother’s Day Gifts in 2021
- The Best Beauty Products Selling On Amazon in 2021
- The 3 Best Paraben Free Moisturizers That Your Face Needs!
This post contains affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission if you make a purchase at no additional cost to you, AND part of the proceeds will go towards my CHD Promise.